Newby Foundries Steel produce high quality sand castings using both the shell and airset moulding processes. Therefore we are able to offer customers a range of solutions from intricate high tolerance castings to large low volume parts.
- Shell moulds are produced by pouring resin covered sand onto a heated iron pattern. The resin fuses together and cures to create a hard ‘biscuit’ shell.
- Parts produced using the shell process achieve excellent reproduction of detail, a very good surface finish and CT9 tolerance for high dimensional accuracy which reduces machining requirements. Complex core assemblies are possible due to the strength of the cores.
- Our plate size is 600 X 400mm and castings must fit within this size limit.
- Suitable for parts up to 25kg
- Medium to high volume production
- Airset moulds are produced from wood or resin patterns mounted in frames. Sand is mixed with catalyst and binder which causes a hardening reaction. Before the sand cures it is rammed into the frames. The resulting mould can then released from the frames and assembled.
- Suitable for parts up to 750kg
- A tolerance of CT11 can be achieved
- Low to medium volume production